START TO FINISH: 35 minutes MAKES 6 servings
• 2 medium baking potatoes (1 pound), scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1⁄4 cup butter
• 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 5 cups milk
• 1 8-ounce container sour cream
• 4 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
• 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh chives
1. In a covered medium saucepan cook potatoes in enough boiling, lightly salted water to cover for 15 to 17 minutes or until tender; drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Add potatoes. Mash potatoes slightly against the side of the pan with the back of a fork or use a potato masher to slightly mash potatoes.
3. For garnishes, set aside 1⁄4 cup of the sour cream, 1⁄4 cup of the cheese, and 2 tablespoons chives. In a small bowl stir together the remaining sour cream and 1⁄2 cup of the hot soup, gradually stirring in another 1⁄2 cup soup. Return sour cream mixture to saucepan. Stir in the remaining 3⁄4 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons chives. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese melts; heat through (do not boil).
4. Serve soup topped with reserved sour cream, cheese, and chives.
PER SERVING: 383 cal., 24 g total fat (15 g sat. fat), 71 mg chol., 660 mg sodium, 30 g carb., 2 g fiber, 13 g pro.