START TO FINISH: 40 minutes MAKES 4 servings
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 large red, yellow, and/or green sweet peppers, seeded and chopped
• 2 cups cubed eggplant (half of a small)
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 2 stalks celery, sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
• 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 cup tomato juice*
• 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
• 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
• 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
• Snipped fresh thyme (optional)
1. In an extra-large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add sweet peppers, eggplant, onion, and celery. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute more.
2. Add tomatoes, tomato juice, drained garbanzo beans, snipped dried thyme (if using), and crushed red pepper to skillet. Cook, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in the 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme (if using), salt, and black pepper.
3. If desired, sprinkle each serving with feta cheese and additional snipped fresh thyme.
PER SERVING: 232 cal., 9 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 579 mg sodium, 34 g carb., 10 g fiber, 11 g pro.
You may need to adjust the amount of tomato juice based on the juiciness of the fresh tomatoes.
make it vegan
Do not use the optional feta cheese, or substitute feta-flavor soy cheese.
Spicy Veggie Stew