START TO FINISH: 25 minutes MAKES 4 servings
• 12 green onions (1 bunch)
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 cups refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
• 3⁄4 cup roasted red sweet peppers, drained
• 3⁄4 cup pale lager or nonalcoholic beer
• 2 cups milk
• 8 ounces American cheese, shredded
• 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
1. Slice green onions, separating white portions from green tops. Set aside green tops. In a large saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the white portions of the onions. Cook and stir under tender.
2. In a blender combine cooked onions, 1 cup of the potatoes, peppers, and beer. Cover and blend until almost smooth. Return to saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
3. Add milk and cheese to onion mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese melts and soup is heated through (do not boil).
4. In a small skillet cook the remaining 1 cup potatoes in the remaining 1 tablespoon hot oil over medium-high heat about 8 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Drain potatoes on paper towels; sprinkle with paprika.
5. To serve, top soup with potatoes and green tops. If desired, sprinkle with additional paprika.
PER SERVING: 467 cal., 30 g total fat (14 g sat. fat), 63 mg chol., 1,096 mg sodium, 28 g carb., 2 g fiber, 19 g pro.