START TO FINISH: 45 minutes MAKES 4 servings
• 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
• 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 3 cups chopped round red potatoes (about 1 pound)
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 cups plain soymilk
• 1 cup tofu sour cream
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme and/or savory
• Fresh thyme and/or savory sprigs (optional)
1. In a large saucepan cook onion, celery, and garlic in hot butter over medium heat about 5 minutes or until softened but not tender. Stir in the potatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. With the back of a fork, mash potatoes slightly against the side of the pan or use a potato masher to slightly mash potatoes.
2. In a small bowl stir together soymilk, tofu sour cream, flour, and snipped thyme; add to potato mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
3. If desired, garnish with additional fresh thyme sprigs.
PER SERVING: 385 cal., 22 g total fat (14 g sat. fat), 15 mg chol., 1,234 mg sodium, 50 g carb., 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
make it vegan
Substitute oil for the butter.