START TO FINISH: 45 minutes MAKES 8 servings
• 2 cups thinly sliced onions or leeks
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 cups milk
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
• 4 cups chicken-flavored vegetable broth
• 8 ounces Swiss-style cheese such as Gruyère or baby Swiss, shredded
• Ground black pepper
• Snipped fresh herbs (such as basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary)
• 2 ounces baby Swiss cheese, thinly sliced (optional)
1. In a large saucepan cook onions in hot oil over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until tender. In a small bowl whisk together milk and flour; add to onions. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
2. Add potatoes and broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
3. In a blender add half of the potato mixture. Cover and blend until almost smooth. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture. Return all of the soup to saucepan; heat through on medium heat. Gradually add the shredded cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. To serve, sprinkle each serving with fresh herbs. If desired, garnish with sliced cheese.
PER SERVING: 220 cal., 11 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 31 mg chol., 491 mg sodium, 19 g carb., 1 g fiber, 12 g pro.