START TO FINISH: 20 minutes MAKES 4 servings
• 1 20-ounce package refrigerated diced potatoes with onions
• 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
• 3 cups milk
• 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
• 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
• 1 15-ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1. In a large saucepan combine potatoes and broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 4 minutes. Add milk; bring just to simmering.
2. In a medium bowl combine cheese, flour, and Italian seasoning; toss gently to coat. Gradually add cheese mixture to potato mixture, stirring until cheese melts. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in drained beans; cook and stir for 1 minute more.
PER SERVING: 494 cal., 12 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 40 mg chol., 1,344 mg sodium, 70 g carb., 9 g fiber, 25 g pro.
Transform a side-dish soup into a hearty main dish by adding grains. However, uncooked rice or pasta will absorb a lot of broth and could make the soup thicker than desired. Keep liquid levels the same by adding cooked grains to the liquid.