PREP: 30 minutes BAKE: 35 minutes OVEN: 425°F MAKES 4 servings
• 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1⁄2 of a medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
• 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
• 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 3 cups fat-free milk
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. In a 13x9x2-inch baking pan combine carrots, sweet potato, parsnip, red onion, and garlic. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with half of the thyme and all of the pepper. Toss to coat.
2. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil; stir vegetables. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, whisk together milk, broth, flour, and the remaining thyme until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Add roasted vegetables. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through.
PER SERVING: 191 cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 4 mg chol., 354 mg sodium, 31 g carb., 3 g fiber, 8 g pro.