START TO FINISH: 30 minutes MAKES 4 servings
• 1 teaspoon canola oil
• 2⁄3 cup sliced leeks (2 medium)
• 31⁄2 cups chicken-flavor vegetable broth
• 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
• 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 8-ounce carton light sour cream
• Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
1. In a large saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add leeks. Cook and stir about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth, pumpkin, dried thyme (if using), and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in fresh snipped thyme (if using).
2. In a blender or food processor add half of the pumpkin mixture. Cover and blend or process until almost smooth. Repeat with remaining pumpkin mixture. Return all of the soup to saucepan; heat through. Stir in half of the sour cream.
3. Swirl remaining sour cream into each serving. If desired, garnish with thyme sprigs.
PER SERVING: 146 cal., 8 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 20 mg chol., 635 mg sodium, 17 g carb., 3 g fiber, 4 g pro.
make it vegan
Substitute tofu sour cream for the dairy sour cream.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup