START TO FINISH: 50 minutes MAKES 4 servings
• 1⁄2 cup chopped onion, chopped (1 medium)
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 2 teaspoons red curry powder or curry powder
• 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
• 11⁄4 cups water
• 11⁄2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups)
• 1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
• 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or light cream
• 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• Fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
1. In a large saucepan cook onion in hot butter over medium heat about 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in curry powder, ginger, and salt. Cook for 30 seconds more.
2. Stir in vegetable broth and water; bring to boiling. Add squash. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 40 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
3. In a blender or food processor add half of the squash mixture. Cover and blend or process until almost smooth. Repeat with remaining squash mixture. Return all of the soup to saucepan.
4. Stir in coconut milk, half-and-half, and chopped cilantro. Heat through. If desired, garnish with additional fresh cilantro.
PER SERVING: 428 cal., 36 g total fat (29 g sat. fat), 34 mg chol., 780 mg sodium, 28 g carb., 6 g fiber, 5 g pro.