PREP: 25 minutes ROAST: 20 minutes OVEN: 400°F MAKES 4 servings
• 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges (about 11⁄2 pounds)
• 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
• 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
• 1 clove garlic, halved
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. On a shallow roasting pan combine sweet potatoes, apples, onion, and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and melted butter. Sprinkle with cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Roast, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables and fruit are very tender. Remove from oven; cool slightly.
2. In a blender or food processor add half of the sweet potato mixture and half of the broth. Cover and blend or process until almost smooth. Transfer mixture to a large saucepan. Repeat with the remaining sweet potato mixture and broth. Heat through.
PER SERVING: 215 cal., 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 8 mg chol., 1,000 mg sodium, 38 g carb., 6 g fiber, 2 g pro.
make it vegan
Substitute an additional tablespoon of olive oil for the tablespoon of butter.