START TO FINISH: 40 minutes MAKES 4 servings
• 1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
• 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red sweet pepper
• 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
• 1⁄4 cup sliced green onions (2)
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
• 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 20 wonton wrappers
• 2 quarts water (8 cups)
• 4 cups chicken-flavored vegetable broth
• 6 green onions, cut into thin slivers
• 1 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger
• 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1. For filling, in a medium bowl combine carrot, sweet pepper, mushrooms, sliced green onions, peanuts, cilantro, soy sauce, and cayenne pepper.
2. Top each wonton wrapper with 1 rounded teaspoon of filling. Fold the lower corner of the wonton over the filling and tuck the point under the wonton’s filling. Roll the wonton up slightly to cover the filling, leaving about 1 inch of skin unrolled at the top corner. Moisten a side corner. Grasp corners; overlap them over the filling, attaching moistened corner to other corner and pinching slightly to seal. Set aside.
3. In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven bring the water to boiling. With a spoon, add wontons, 1 at a time, to the boiling water. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Gently drain; rinse with cool water.
4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan combine broth, slivered green onions, and ginger. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 2 minutes or until green onions are crisp-tender. Remove ginger; discard. Carefully add wontons. Stir in sesame oil. Heat through.
PER SERVING: 197 cal., 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 4 mg chol., 1,164 mg sodium, 30 g carb., 2 g fiber, 7 g pro.