PREP: 20 minutes ROAST: 45 minutes COOK: 20 minutes BROIL: 3 minutes OVEN: 375°F MAKES 4 servings
• 2 large sweet onions (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla), sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon butter, melted
• 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 4 cups beef-flavor vegetable broth
• 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 4 slices French bread, toasted
• 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (1 cup)
• Gruyère cheese, shredded (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a 13x9x2-inch baking pan combine onions and garlic. Drizzle with oil and melted butter; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until very tender and light brown, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove pan from oven. Carefully add 1 cup of the broth to the pan, stirring to remove any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Transfer onion mixture to a large saucepan. Add the remaining 3 cups broth, sherry (if using), and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat broiler. On a foil-lined baking sheet arrange bread slices. Sprinkle bread with the 4 ounces shredded cheese. Broil about 4 inches from the heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese melts and turns light brown.
4. Serve soup topped with bread slices and, if desired, sprinkle with additional shredded cheese.
PER SERVING: 349 cal., 16 g total fat (8 g sat. fat), 39 mg chol., 1,171 mg sodium, 38 g carb., 3 g fiber, 15 g pro.
make it vegan
Substitute olive oil for the 1 tablespoon butter and substitute desired soy cheese for the Gruyère cheese.