PREP: 40 minutes COOK: 2 hours MAKES 13 cups
• 16 cups water
• 8 medium carrots, cut up
• 6 stalks celery, cut up
• 2 large sweet onions, unpeeled and quartered
• 2 large tomatoes, quartered
• 8 ounces fresh cremini mushrooms
• 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled and halved
• 3 4-inch sprigs fresh thyme
• 3 4-inch sprigs fresh rosemary
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In an 8- to 10-quart Dutch oven combine the water, carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
2. Uncover. Simmer for 1 hour more. Cool slightly. Set a fine-mesh wire sieve in a large heatproof bowl; carefully pour broth mixture into the sieve. Discard vegetable mixture.
3. Place broth in storage containers. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
per 1 cup: 3 cal., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 370 mg sodium, 0 g carb., 0 g fiber, 0 g pro.
Prepare as above, except substitute 12 corn cobs (corn kernels removed) for the tomatoes and 2 large sprigs fresh parsley for the rosemary. Omit the carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Continue as directed. Makes 11 cups.