START TO FINISH: 25 minutes OVEN: 400°F MAKES 4 servings
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 1⁄2 of a medium zucchini, shredded (1 cup)
• 1 8.5-ounce package corn muffin mix
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
• 1⁄4 cup milk
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 12 ounces assorted mushrooms, quartered (41⁄2 cups)
• Ground black pepper
• 1 cup drained roasted red sweet peppers
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat twelve 21⁄2 -inch muffin cups with cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine zucchini, muffin mix, cheese, milk, egg, and cayenne pepper; spoon evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 11 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
4. For sauce, place roasted peppers in a blender or food processor. Cover; blend or process until nearly smooth.
5. Arrange 3 cakes on each plate with some of the mushrooms and pepper sauce.
PER SERVING: 443 cal., 21 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 84 mg chol., 701 mg sodium, 49 g carb., 2 g fiber, 16 g pro.
If you’re keeping an eye on carbohydrates, make quinoa your go-to grain. It’s lower in carbohydrates than most grains and it is a complete protein.