PREP: 30 minutes COOK: 8 minutes per batch BAKE: 10 minutes OVEN: 425°F MAKES 4 servings
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 11⁄4 cups shredded zucchini (1 medium)
• 4 cups shredded, peeled baking potatoes (about 11⁄2 pounds)
• 1 cup shredded carrot (1 large)
• 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
• 5 large eggs
• 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 recipe Spring Greens Salad
• Mixed peppercorns, crushed (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly coat 2 small baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Drain zucchini in a colander; press to squeeze out excess liquid. In a large bowl combine zucchini, potatoes, carrot, flour, 1 of the eggs, thyme, salt, and pepper.
3. In an extra-large nonstick skillet heat half of the oil over medium heat. To make a pancake, spoon about a 1-cup portion of the potato mixture into skillet; evenly press and round edges with back of spatula to form a pancake. Cook 2 pancakes at a time, 4 to 5 minutes each side or until golden brown, turning once halfway through cooking. Transfer pancakes to prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining oil and potato mixture.
4. With the back of a wooden spoon or a 1⁄4 -cup measure gently press each pancake, slightly off-center, to make a 3-inch-diameter depression, deep enough to hold an egg. Pour 1 egg into each pancake nest. Place pancakes with eggs in oven, being careful not to tilt baking sheets. Bake, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes or until eggs are cooked through. Transfer pancakes to individual serving plates. Serve with Spring Greens Salad. If desired, sprinkle with crushed peppercorns.
PER SERVING: 362 cal., 20 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 264 mg chol., 599 mg sodium, 34 g carb., 4 g fiber, 13 g pro.
Spring Greens Salad
In a large bowl combine 3 cups watercress and 1 small carrot, peeled and cut lengthwise into thin ribbons. For dressing, in a small bowl combine 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons olive oil. Toss dressing with watercress mixture.