PREP: 30 minutes COOK: 15 minutes MAKES 4 servings
• 2 cups water
• 1 cup uncooked basmati rice or long grain rice
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
• 1⁄2 cup snipped fresh cilantro
• 4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1 pound portobello mushrooms, cut into 1⁄2 -inch slices
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 1⁄2 cup sliced green onions (4)
• 2 teaspoons Madras (spicy) curry powder or curry powder
• 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
• Ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cashews or peanuts
1. In a medium saucepan combine the water, rice, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, in blender or food processor combine 1⁄2 cup of the coconut milk, the cilantro, 1 teaspoon of the ginger, half of the minced garlic, and the lime juice. Cover; blend or process until nearly smooth. Stir coconut milk mixture into rice. Cover; keep warm.
3. In large skillet cook mushrooms in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add green onions, curry powder, red pepper, the remaining 3 teaspoons ginger, and the remaining minced garlic. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in tomatoes and the remaining 1⁄2 cup coconut milk; heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. To serve, divide rice mixture among individual plates. Top with mushroom mixture and sprinkle with cashews.
PER SERVING: 438 cal., 24 g total fat (14 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 465 mg sodium, 51 g carb., 6 g fiber, 9 g pro.
Portobello Curry with Green Rice