PREP: 10 minutes COOK: 30 minutes MAKES 6 servings
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
• 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot
• 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth (31⁄2 cups)
• 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
• 1 cup frozen baby or regular peas
• 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shredded
• 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced green onions (2 or 3)
• 1⁄4 cup thin wedges fresh radishes
• 2 teaspoons snipped fresh tarragon
• Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
1. In a large saucepan cook and stir garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add rice. Cook and stir about 5 minutes more or until rice is golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in carrot.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan bring broth to boiling; reduce heat and simmer until needed.
3. Slowly add 1 cup of hot broth to the rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir over medium heat until broth is absorbed. Add another 1⁄2 cup broth, stirring frequently until broth is absorbed. Continue to cook and stir until broth mixture is absorbed. Add broth, 1⁄2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until the broth mixture has been absorbed. (This process should take about 22 minutes.)
4. Stir the remaining broth into the rice mixture. Cook and stir until rice is slightly creamy and just tender.
5. Stir in spinach, peas, the shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, green onions, radishes, and tarragon; heat through. If desired, top with additional Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese cut into shards with a vegetable peeler. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING: 191 cal., 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 7 mg chol., 723 mg sodium, 25 g carb., 2 g fiber, 7 g pro.