PREP: 20 minutes COOK: 1 hour CHILL: 1 to 24 hours MAKES 8 servings
• 11⁄2 cups uncooked spelt
• 1 cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 medium)
• 1 cup chopped, seeded cucumber
• 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
• 1⁄4 cup sliced green onions (2)
• 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. In a medium saucepan combine spelt and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 1 hour or until tender. Drain well and place spelt into a large bowl.
2. Add sweet pepper, cucumber, carrot, and green onions to spelt; stir to combine. In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add to spelt mixture; toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
PER SERVING: 276 cal., 16 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 7 mg chol., 255 mg sodium, 28 g carb., 4 g fiber, 5 g pro.
Whole grains spoil faster than refined grains, so store them in the refrigerator or freezer, especially if storing for longer than 6 months. Store dried beans in a cupboard or pantry at room temperature.