START TO FINISH: 35 minutes MAKES 5 servings
• 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
• 3⁄4 cup water
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 2 8-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
• 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
• 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers, drained
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
• 11⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
• 1 tablespoon cold water
• 1 recipe Cornmeal Dumplings
1. In a large skillet combine onion, the 3⁄4 cup water, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomato sauce, drained beans, drained chile peppers, chili powder, and salt.
2. In a small bowl stir together cornstarch and the 1 tablespoon cold water; stir into bean mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat.
3. Using 2 spoons, drop Cornmeal Dumplings dough into 10 mounds on top of hot bean mixture.
4. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a dumpling comes out clean. (Do not lift cover during cooking.)
PER SERVING: 350 cal., 7 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 803 mg sodium, 61 g carb., 12 g fiber, 15 g pro.
In a medium bowl stir together 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour, 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. In a small bowl combine 1 egg white, 1⁄4 cup fat-free milk, and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add milk mixture to cornmeal mixture; stir just until combined.