PREP: 25 minutes COOK: 10 minutes MAKES 4 burgers
• 1 15- to 16-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
• 3⁄4 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs (1 slice)
• 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
• 1⁄4 cup walnut pieces, toasted if desired
• 2 tablespoons coarsely snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
• 2 cloves garlic, quartered
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 4 whole grain hamburger buns, split and toasted
• 2 tablespoons bottled light ranch salad dressing
• 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
• 1⁄2 of a medium tomato, sliced
1. In a food processor combine drained cannellini beans, 1⁄4 cup of the bread crumbs, the onion, walnuts, basil, and garlic. Cover and process until mixture is coarsely chopped and holds together.
2. Shape the bean mixture into four 1⁄2 -inch-thick patties. Place the remaining 1⁄2 cup bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Carefully brush both sides of each patty with oil. Dip patties into bread crumbs, turning to coat.
3. Preheat a grill pan or large skillet over medium heat. Add patties to pan or skillet. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through, turning patties once halfway through cooking. (Reduce heat to medium-low if patties brown too quickly.)
4. Spread cut sides of bun bottoms with ranch salad dressing. Top with burgers, spinach, tomato slices, and bun tops.
PER BURGER: 299 cal., 11 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 2 mg chol., 497 mg sodium, 44 g carb., 9 g fiber, 13 g pro.