PREP: 20 minutes COOK: 30 minutes MAKES 4 servings
• 3 cups vegetable broth
• 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
• 1 cup finely chopped zucchini
• 1 cup finely chopped carrots
• 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans) or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
• 1⁄2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
• 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
• Finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan bring broth to boiling; reduce heat and simmer until needed. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook mushrooms, onion, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add rice. Cook and stir about 5 minutes more or until rice is golden brown.
2. Slowly add 1 cup of the broth to the rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until broth is absorbed. Add another 1⁄2 cup of the broth, the zucchini, and carrots to rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until broth is absorbed. Add another 1 cup broth, 1⁄2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until the broth is absorbed. (This process should take about 20 minutes.)
3. Stir the remaining 1⁄2 cup broth into rice mixture. Cook and stir until rice is slightly creamy and just tender. Stir in drained beans and the 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese; heat through. To serve, sprinkle with parsley and, if desired, additional Parmesan cheese.
PER SERVING: 340 cal., 11 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 9 mg chol., 1,074 mg sodium, 53 g carb., 7 g fiber, 15 g pro.