PREP: 25 minutes COOK: 6 minutes per batch MAKES 4 servings
• 11⁄2 cups salsa
• 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 8.5-ounce package corn muffin mix
• 1 medium fresh jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped*
• 21⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1⁄2 cup sour cream
• 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
1. Drain 1⁄2 cup of the salsa in a colander. In a large bowl use a fork or potato masher to coarsely mash drained beans. Stir in the 1⁄2 cup drained salsa, muffin mix, half of the jalapeño chile pepper, and the 21⁄2 teaspoons chili powder.
2. In an extra-large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. For each cake, spoon 1⁄2 cup of the bean mixture into hot skillet. Use a spatula to flatten mounds into 31⁄2 -inch bean cakes. Cook about 6 minutes or until brown, turning once halfway through cooking. Remove bean cakes from skillet. Repeat with the remaining oil and bean mixture.
3. In a small bowl combine sour cream and the 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder. Top bean cakes with the remaining 1 cup salsa, the remaining jalapeño chile pepper, and the chili-seasoned sour cream.
PER SERVING: 519 cal., 19 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 11 mg chol., 1,553 mg sodium, 79 g carb., 12 g fiber, 20 g pro.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
make it vegan
Substitute tofu sour cream for the dairy sour cream.