PREP: 25 minutes BAKE: 25 minutes STAND: 10 minutes OVEN: 350°F MAKES 6 servings
• 12 ounces dried penne, bow tie, or rigatoni pasta
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 2 cups milk
• 2 cups shredded Port du Salut or Monterey Jack cheese (8 ounces)
• 1 cup shredded American cheese (4 ounces)
• 2 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
• 1⁄2 cup soft light rye or whole wheat bread crumbs
• Snipped fresh oregano (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook and stir garlic in hot butter over medium heat for 30 seconds. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat. Gradually add Port du Salut cheese and American cheese, stirring until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in cooked pasta and 2 tablespoons fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano.
3. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 11⁄2 – to 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with additional fresh oregano.
PER SERVING: 508 cal., 22 g total fat (13 g sat. fat), 80 mg chol., 613 mg sodium, 51 g carb., 2 g fiber, 25 g pro.