PREP: 30 minutes BAKE: 30 minutes STAND: 5 minutes OVEN: 375°F MAKES 8 servings
• 6 ounces dried elbow macaroni
• 1 16-ounce package frozen vegetable blend (any combination)
• 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 21⁄2 cups)
• 1⁄2 cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 small)
• 2 12-ounce cans evaporated milk
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 3⁄4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
• 1 medium tomato, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven cook macaroni in a large amount of boiling, lightly salted water for 8 minutes, adding frozen vegetables, zucchini, and sweet pepper during the last 3 minutes of cooking; drain. Return macaroni mixture to hot Dutch oven.
2 Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan whisk together evaporated milk, broth, flour, oregano, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Pour over macaroni mixture, stirring to coat. Stir in 1⁄2 cup of the cheese. Transfer macaroni mixture to the prepared baking dish.
3 Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Top with tomato and the remaining 1⁄4 cup cheese. Bake about 5 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
PER SERVING: 280 cal., 9 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 31 mg chol., 499 mg sodium, 35 g carb., 3 g fiber, 13 g pro.