PREP: 30 minutes BAKE: 30 minutes OVEN: 350°F MAKES 8 servings
- 2 9-ounce packages refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 11⁄2 cups fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot (1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 11⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped red or green sweet pepper (1 small)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook tortellini according to package directions, adding sugar snap peas and carrot during the last 1 minute of cooking; drain.
2 Meanwhile, in an extra-large skillet heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet.
3 In a screw-top jar combine broth, flour, oregano, garlic salt, and black pepper. Cover and shake until smooth. Add to the same skillet; add milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add cream cheese; cook and stir until cream cheese is smooth. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice.
4 Stir tortellini mixture, mushrooms, tomatoes, and sweet pepper into cream cheese mixture. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Bake, covered, about 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
PER SERVING: 353 cal., 17 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 69 mg chol., 468 mg sodium, 37 g carb., 1 g fiber, 15 g pro.
Refrigerated pastas are usually sold in the dairy case or other refrigerated sections of the grocery store. They cost more than dried pasta but take less time to cook.