PREP: 30 minutes BAKE: 30 minutes STAND: 5 minutes OVEN: 375ºF MAKES 8 servings
- 8 ounces dried multigrain or whole wheat penne pasta
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups fresh cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped oil-packed dried tomatoes*
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1⁄2 cup basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into chunks or thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease four 12-ounce individual casseroles or one 11⁄2 -quart au gratin dish; set aside. In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook pasta in boiling, lightly salted water according to package directions, adding spinach and mushrooms during the last 1 minute of cooking; drain.
- Transfer pasta mixture to an extra-large bowl. Stir in dried tomatoes and olives. Add pesto and vinegar; toss gently to coat. Transfer mixture to the prepared casseroles or au gratin dish.
- Bake, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 10 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with basil. If using individual casseroles, each dish will serve two.
- PER SERVING: 324 cal., 18 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 25 mg chol., 438 mg sodium, 27 g carb., 3 g fiber, 15 g pro.
If the dried tomatoes are very firm, add them to some of the hot pasta cooking water and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain well, then add to the pasta mixture as directed.