PREP: 35 minutes BAKE: 20 minutes STAND: 10 minutes OVEN: 350°F MAKES 6 to 8 servings
- 5 cups peeled and coarsely chopped eggplant (1 medium)
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini (3 medium)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped red sweet peppers (3 medium)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion (1 large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese (4 ounces)
- 12 rich round crackers, crushed (about 2⁄3 cup)
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. In an extra-large skillet cook eggplant, zucchini, sweet peppers, onion, garlic, salt, and black pepper in hot oil over medium-high heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
2 Meanwhile, in an extra-large bowl combine eggs and mayonnaise. Stir in 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the Pecorino-Romano cheese. Stir in cooked vegetables. Transfer vegetable mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and crushed crackers.
3 Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
PER SERVING: 440 cal., 32 g total fat (11 g sat. fat), 188 mg chol., 942 mg sodium, 21 g carb., 5 g fiber, 23 g pro.