PREP: 35 minutes BAKE: 30 minutes STAND: 10 minutes OVEN: 375°F MAKES 6 to 8 servings
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 11⁄4 cups sliced yellow summer squash (1 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 6-ounce package fresh baby spinach
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 11⁄2 cups crumbled Cotija cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 10 6-inch corn tortillas
- 13⁄4 cups salsa
1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish; set aside. In an extra-large skillet cook onion in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, squash, sweet pepper, and corn. Cook and stir for 5 to 7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and squash is crisp-tender. Stir in spinach. Cook and stir just until spinach starts to wilt. Set aside.
2 In a food processor or blender combine eggs, cottage cheese, and 11⁄4 cups of the Cotija cheese. Cover and process or blend until well mixed. Add cilantro. Cover and process or blend with several on/off pulses until cilantro is chopped.
3 To assemble, arrange 5 of the tortillas in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, cutting as necessary to fit. Spread with cheese mixture and vegetable mixture. Top with the remaining 5 tortillas, cutting as necessary to fit. Spread with salsa; sprinkle with the remaining 1⁄4 cup Cotija cheese.
4 Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until mixture is set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
PER SERVING: 441 cal., 22 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 152 mg chol., 1,163 mg sodium, 39 g carb., 7 g fiber, 26 g pro.