The cumin and coriander used to season the vegetables are common spices in a number of global cuisines, so you can take the improvisation even further and add a dollop of salsa for Mexican flair, a spoonful of chutney for an Indian twist, a dab of harissa for Moroccan flavor, etc.
YIELD: SERVES 4
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
2 large zucchini, sliced, ½-inch thick
2 medium red and/or yellow bell peppers, cut into eighths
3 small onions, cut into eighths
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tbs. lemon juice
8 slices whole-grain bread
2 large tomatoes, sliced
2 cups arugula or mesclun lettuce mix
- To make Vegetables: Preheat oven to 375°F. Stir together cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Set aside.
- Toss together zucchini, bell peppers, onions, and oil in large bowl. Add cumin mixture, and toss to coat.
- Divide vegetables between 2 baking sheets, and roast 30 to 45 minutes, or until tender and golden brown, turning vegetables once or twice and rotating baking sheets from top to bottom. Cool.
- To make Bean Spread: Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds to 2 minutes, or until translucent and fragrant. Add beans, and coarsely mash. Stir in ¾ cup water, and cook 10 minutes, or until mixture is consistency of refried beans, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice, and cool.
- To assemble Sandwiches: Spread 2 Tbs. Bean Spread on each bread slice. Top 4 bread slices with 1 cup Vegetables, 2 or 3 tomato slices, and ½ cup arugula. Place remaining 4 bread slices on top. Cut in half to serve.
Protein: 15 g
Total Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 65 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 830 mg
Fiber: 20 g
Sugar: 13 g