MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS
PICKLED RED ONIONS
1 red onion
½ cup white wine vinegar
½ up sugar
Pinch of salt
½ cup olive oil
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 small onion, cut into small dice
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons malt vinegar
½ tablespoon whole cumin seeds, toasted Salt
3 cups julienned green cabbage
2 ripe mangos, peeled, pitted, and cut into julienne
1 cup small-diced jicama
½ cup pecans, toasted
¼ cup finely sliced cilantro leaves
FOR THE PICKLED RED ONIONS
- Cut the onion in half and then slice it into very thin half-moon shapes. Place them in a small heatproof bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, heat the vinegar and sugar, stirring constantly. When the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat. Add the salt and pour the mixture over the onions. Cover with plastic wrap, place in the refrigerator, and allow to pickle for 8 to 12 hours.
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- Combine the oils and the lime juice in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the onion, orange juice, maple syrup, vinegar, and cumin seeds to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture has reduced to almost dry. Remove from the heat and place in a blender. Puree until smooth. Add to the lime juice mixture. Season with salt, and stir until completely blended.
TO MAKE THE SALAD
- Drain the pickled onions.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cabbage, mangos, onions, jicama, pecans, and cilantro. Slowly add the vinaigrette, tossing until the salad is lightly coated. Season with salt to taste, and use immediately.