Paired with a two-cheese white sauce, broccoli makes a wonderful pizza topping. The secret to a crisp crust is preheating the baking stone or sheet. If you like extra-crispy pizza, prebake the dough 3 to 4 minutes before adding toppings.
YIELD: SERVES 6
2 Tbs. nonhydrogenated margarine or butter, divided
6 oz. mushrooms, sliced (2 cups)
8 oz. broccoli florets (3 cups)
1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 cup low-fat milk
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup shredded mozzarella, divided
¼ cup grated Parmesan, divided
1 13.8-oz. pkg. refrigerated pizza dough
- Place pizza stone or baking sheet in center of oven, and heat to 425°F.
- Melt 1½ tsp. margarine in skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 4 to 7 minutes, or until beginning to brown, stirring frequently. Add broccoli and ⅓ cup water. Cover tightly, and steam broccoli in skillet 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1½ Tbs. margarine in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour, and cook 2 minutes, or until pale golden, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, garlic, and salt. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until mixture thickens and begins to boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in ¼ cup mozzarella and 2 Tbs. Parmesan until sauce is smooth and cheese is melted.
- Shape pizza dough according to package directions. Remove pizza stone from oven, and place dough on hot stone.
- Spread white sauce over dough to within ½ inch of edge, and top with broccoli mixture. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over top. Return to oven, and bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until edges of pizza are golden and center is hot and bubbly. Cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Protein: 13 g
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 38 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 746 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 7 g