This festive Mexican dish can be customized to suit your flavor preferences or what’s on hand in your fridge. Use a mild salsa for younger palates, or experiment with a different cheese, such as mozzarella.
YIELD: SERVES 6
2 15.5-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup prepared chipotle salsa
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups arugula
3 Roma tomatoes, diced (1 cup)
¼ cup chopped cilantro
2 green onions, sliced (about ¼ cup)
1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
1 9-oz. bag tortilla chips
4 oz. shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (about 2 cups)
1 avocado, diced, optional
- Blend beans in food processor 1 minute, until mostly smooth. Add salsa, garlic, and oregano, and blend 1 minute.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add bean mixture and broth, and whisk until combined. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine arugula, tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, lime juice, and remaining 1 Tbs. oil in medium bowl.
- Fold chips into simmering black bean mixture. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until chips are soft and slightly chewy.
- Transfer to 2-quart casserole or deep serving dish. Sprinkle cheese on top and let stand 5 minutes. Top with arugula salad and avocado, if desired, and serve.
Protein: 14 g
Total Fat: 12.5 g
Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
Carbohydrates: 52 g
Cholesterol: 4 mg
Sodium: 632 mg
Fiber: 10 g
Sugar: 4 g