This rustic dough is made with cream cheese and masa harina, which help boost the protein and nutrients in the individual crusts. The masa harina also gives the crusts a delectable flavor of corn tortillas, which highlights flavors of peak-season summer vegetables.
YIELD: MAKES 4 TARTLETS
1 cup flour, plus more for rolling dough
¼ cup masa harina
¼ tsp. salt
4 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cubed
8 oz. cold cream cheese
2 small zucchini, diced (1½ cups)
½ large onion, diced (1 cup)
1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced (¾ cup)
2 Japanese egg-plants, diced (2½ cups)
1 fennel bulb, diced (1 cup)
4½ tsp. olive oil
1½ tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 cup drained, diced fire-roasted tomatoes,
16 Gaeta olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 Tbs. chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 oz. Fontina or Asiago cheese, grated (½ cup)
3 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
- To make Dough: Combine flour, masa harina, and salt in bowl of food processor; pulse to combine. Add butter, and pulse 10 times. Add cream cheese in small pieces, and pulse until dough comes together. Shape dough into disc; cover with plastic wrap, and chill at least 1 hour.
- Cut dough into 4 equal pieces, and flatten into discs. Roll each disc into ⅛-inch-thick circle.
- To make Tartlets: Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss together zucchini, onion, bell pepper, eggplants, and fennel in large bowl with oil, garlic, thyme, and oregano; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Arrange vegetables on two baking sheets, and roast 20 minutes in oven, rotating pans from top to bottom and flipping vegetables halfway through. When tender, transfer to bowl, and cool. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Add tomatoes, olives, parsley, and cheeses to roasted vegetables; toss gently; and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Mound ¾ cup cooled filling in center of each dough round. Gently fold edges inward, forming 6 to 8 pleats as you move around the dough. Chill filled tarts 10 minutes.
- Whisk egg with 2 Tbs. water. Brush dough tops lightly with egg wash, and transfer tarts to parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbling.
Protein: 10 g
Total Fat: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 26 g
Cholesterol: 80 mg
Sodium: 405 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 5 g