These are my idea of a great chocolate-chip cookie crisp, buttery, and very chocolaty. You had better hide some of these if you don’t want them all eaten in one sitting.
MAKES 4 TO 5 DOZEN
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
ВЅ cup white sugar
ВЅ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2Вј cups unbleached white flour
Вј teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350В°F. In a double boiler melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl cream the butter with both sugars until smooth and fluffy. (Use an electric beater.) Beat in the melted chocolate and vanilla until well blended.
- Beat in 1 cup of the flour and the baking soda until blended. Beat in the remaining flour; you might have to do it by hand at this point. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips until well mixed.
- To get nicely shaped cookies drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart from each other, and use the teaspoon to push the edges into a circle.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes. Do not let burn. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for a minute before removing. Cool on a wire rack. When thoroughly cooled store in a covered tin.