This is a spicy version, which is interlaced with minced fresh gingerroot. Although it is still delicious served the day after, I prefer to serve it freshly made and still warm from the oven (or at room temperature) because it has a softer texture. If you prefer it this way also, time your baking so that the gingerbread has finished cooking about 1 hour before serving.
ВЅ cup (1 stick) butter
Вѕ cup molasses
ВЅ cup honey
1 cup water
ВЅ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1Вѕ cups unbleached white flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
ВЅ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
ВЅ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
Lightly sweetened whipped cream or powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350В°F. Butter a round 10-inch springform pan or an 8 x 8-inch square pan. (If you are using glass set the oven at 325В°F.)
- In a medium saucepan combine the butter, molasses, honey, and water. Heat just until the butter melts and the mixture is blended. Stir occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl beat the brown sugar and egg together until blended.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining dry ingredients and fresh ginger and mix well.
- Alternately add the molasses mixture and the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Beat after each addition until well blended, but do not overbeat.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out almost clean. (It continues to cook while cooling.) Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm with lightly sweetened whipped cream, or dust with powdered sugar.