These green beans are an excellent choice for a summer picnic.
1 pound green beans
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1 tablespoon tamari or other soy sauce
2 teaspoons Chinese rice vinegar or other vinegar
1 teaspoonВ Asian sesame oilimage
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Snap the ends off the green beans. Wash and drain them.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Blanch the green beans for 5 minutes, or just until tender yet still crisp. Test by tasting one.
- Drain and immediately immerse them in cold water for a few minutes to stop further cooking. Drain again very well.
- In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid combine the peanut oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and pepper. Shake well.
- Put the green beans in a serving dish and pour over the sauce. Toss well.
- Place the sesame seeds in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. (Be careful not to burn them. Once they become hot they smoke slightly and exude a noticeable aroma, and at this point they are done.)
- Immediately pour onto the green beans and toss well again. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours before serving. Serve cool, not cold.