These Indian deep-fried turnovers are stuffed with a spicy potato filling and have a light crisp exterior. They are wonderful for entertaining because they can be prepared in advance, although they must be cooked just before serving, like most Indian breads.
1 large potato, peeled
1 tablespoon Ghee, oil, or butter
1 large onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
Вј teaspoon turmeric
ВЅ teaspoon ground cumin
ВЅ teaspoon ground coriander
Вј teaspoon cayenne pepper
ВЅ teaspoon salt
в…” cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup whole wheat flour
ВЅ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Ghee or butter, melted and cooled
3 to 4 tablespoons water
2 cups oil for deep frying
- Cut the potato into quarters and boil just until cooked through. Drain very well and cut into Вј-inch dice.
- Heat the ghee in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saut for 7 to 8 minutes or until it is clear and limp.
- Add all of the spices and salt and stir to blend. Cook 1 minute.
- Add the peas and diced potato, and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring often. Set aside to cool.
- To make the dough: Put the flour and salt in a medium-size bowl. Add the ghee or cooled melted butter, and with your fingertips blend it into the flour until it is evenly incorporated. Sprinkle on 3 tablespoons of water and stir to blend. Gather the dough into a ball (if it is too crumbly add another tablespoon of water) and knead it for 5 to 7 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic. Cover with a damp towel and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a log shape. Cut each log into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Cover the balls with a damp towel while you proceed with the next step.
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll each ball of dough into a circle 3ВЅ inches in diameter. Keep the circles of dough covered with a damp towel. (You can let them sit for 4 to 5 hours.)
- Put a small bowl of water in front of you. Divide the filling into 16 portions. With your finger lightly dampen the edge of a circle and spoon a portion of filling onto the center of the circle. Pick up the turnover and keep it in one hand. With the other hand fold the turnover in half and pinch the edges together to completely encase the filling. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. May be prepared to this point up to 3 hours in advance. Cover with foil or plastic and chill.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. When it is hot but not smoking fry 2 or 3 samosas at a time, turning them to make them evenly golden. Cook only about 30 seconds; they should be light in color. Keep them warm in a 350В°F oven as you proceed with the remaining samosas. Serve and enjoy.