Puréed sweet potato, cocoa, almond flour, and eggs yield a dense, fudgy cake perfect for chocolate lovers.
YIELD: SERVES 12
1 cup packed cooked, mashed orange-fleshed sweet potato
1½ cups sugar, divided
1 cup almond flour
½ cup unsweetened dark-chocolate cocoa powder
⅛ tsp. salt
4 large eggs
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate
2 Tbs. nonfat milk or vegetable milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- Blend sweet potato, 1 cup sugar, almond flour, cocoa, and salt in food processor 30 seconds, or until smooth, scraping bowl as necessary.
- Separate 3 eggs, placing whites in bowl of electric mixer. Add 3 yolks and remaining whole egg to sweet potato mixture; pulse to combine. Transfer sweet potato mixture to large bowl.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add remaining ½ cup sugar; beat 2 minutes more, or until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Fold one-third egg white mixture into sweet potato mixture with spatula. Gently fold in remaining whites. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Remove springform sides; cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in milk. Spread chocolate mixture over top of cake. Let stand until chocolate sets.
Protein: 6 g
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 37 g
Cholesterol: 71 mg
Sodium: 61 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 29 g