A lot of good things are tucked beneath the crust of this crowd-pleasing recipe.
YIELD: SERVES 8
2 cups diced potatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
16 oz. firm tofu, drained and cubed
¼ cup plus 2 Tbs. tamari, divided
½ tsp. granulated garlic, divided
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups diced onions
1 cup chopped broccoli
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
¼ cup flour
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
½ cup plain vegetable milk
3 Tbs. red wine
1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
1 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
1 tsp. hoisin sauce
½ tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 ¼ cups flour
½ cup vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- To make Filling: Cook potatoes and carrots in boiling salted water 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown tofu in oil 5 minutes. Stir in 2 Tbs. tamiari, ¼ tsp. granulated garlic and ⅛ tsp. cayenne, and cook until liquid has evaporated.
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 2 minutes. Add onion, broccoli, and garlic, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to pot, and sprinkle vegetables with flour. Stir until all vegetables are coated. Stir broth into vegetables, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Stir in all remaining ingredients, then spread Filling in casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. To make Crust: Combine all ingredients in bowl, and mix with fork until mixture is crumbly. Stir in 4 Tbs. water until dough forms. Roll dough out to size of casserole dish on floured work surface. Drape dough over Filling in casserole dish, and prick all over with fork. Bake 45 minutes, or until crust is golden.
Protein: 12 g
Total Fat: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Cholesterol: <1 mg
Sodium: 978 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 5 g