Grated beet keeps these patties juicy and makes them look like “real” burgers.
YIELD: SERVES 8
4 Tbs. light miso paste
2 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, grated
3 Tbs. canola oil, divided
½ cup gluten flour or vital wheat gluten
2 Tbs. guar gum
1 portobello mushroom, stemmed and grated (about ¾ cup)
1 small beet, grated (about ¾ cup)
1 small onion, grated (about ½ cup)
1 small carrot, grated (about ½ cup)
½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
½ medium green bell pepper, finely chopped (about ⅓ cup)
½ medium red bell pepper, finely chopped (about ⅓ cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Dilute miso in ¼ cup water in bowl. Stir in tempeh and 1½ Tbs. oil. Stir in flour and guar gum.
- Mound tempeh mixture on prepared baking sheet. Cover with foil, and bake 20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Heat remaining 1½ Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add mushroom, beet, onion, carrot, corn, bell peppers, and garlic. Sauté 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Pulse vegetables and tempeh mixture in food processor 6 or 7 times or until just blended (do not overblend).
- Shape tempeh mixture into 8 patties. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 4 hours, or overnight, to blend flavors.
- Preheat grill to medium. Brush burgers and grill rack with oil. Grill 8 to 10 minutes per side.
Protein: 20 g
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 259 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 3 g