Ground almonds and eggs hold these veggie-laced alternatives to traditional meatballs together. For appetizer-size meatballs, shape into 30 smaller rounds instead of 12, and bake 15 to 20 minutes.
YIELD: SERVES 4
4 cups broccoli florets (1 large head)
1 cup raw almonds
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 large eggs
1 Tbs. olive oil
¼ cup diced white onion
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- To make Meatballs: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Steam broccoli florets 10 minutes, or until tender and bright green. Cool.
- Pulse almonds in food processor until finely ground. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Pulse steamed broccoli in food processor until chopped. Transfer to bowl with ground almonds. Add Parmesan, basil, parsley, garlic, and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Whisk eggs in small bowl, then stir eggs into broccoli mixture.
- Shape mixture into 12 Meatballs by hand, pressing firmly to ensure Meatballs hold their shape. Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To make Garlic-Tomato Sauce: Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and their juice, and cook 20 minutes, or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Protein: 18 g
Total Fat: 23 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Cholesterol: 97 mg
Sodium: 503 mg
Fiber: 10 g
Sugar: 10 g