Baked cannelloni is a lighter alternative to lasagna and has the same big, bold flavors.
YIELD: SERVES 4
1½ tsp. olive oil
½ small onion, finely chopped (½ cup)
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
½ tsp. rubbed sage
½ tsp. dried oregano
1 14.5-oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1½ cups)
1 medium zucchini, finely diced (1½ cups)
½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
½ tsp. rubbed sage
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
4 Tbs. Parmesan cheese, divided
1 large pinch ground nutmeg
16 no-cook lasagna noodles
½ cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- To make Sauce: Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic, sage, and oregano; stir until combined. Add tomatoes and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Purée with immersion blender.
- To make Cannelloni: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes. Add zucchini and corn; increase heat to medium-high. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Stir in garlic and sage; remove from heat. Stir in ricotta, 2 Tbs. Parmesan, and nutmeg.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles, and cook 3 minutes, or until noodles bend without breaking. Drain, and cool in large bowl of cold water. Drain again, pat dry, and stack on cutting board. Halve noodles width-wise.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spoon ½ cup Sauce into 9-inch square baking dish.
- Spoon 3 Tbs. zucchini mixture down center of 1 halved noodle. Roll into a tube, and place seam-side down in dish. Repeat with remaining noodles and filling. Pour remaining Sauce over Cannelloni in dish. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbs. Parmesan and mozzarella, if using. Bake 25 minutes, or until cheese melts and Sauce is bubbly.
MAKE-AHEAD TIP Cool cannelloni, and cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate 3 days, or freeze up to 1 month. Thaw, and reheat, covered, in 350°F oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until hot in center.
Protein: 15 g
Total Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 42 g
Cholesterol: 24 mg
Sodium: 536 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 12 g