Once you’ve made the topping for these roasted beets, you’ll want to find other ways to use the simple, surprising “crumbles.” Be sure to roast the golden beets separately from the red beets so that the colors remain distinct.
YIELD: SERVES 4
2½ Tbs. olive oil, divided
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1 ½ Tbs. Dijon mustard
6 small golden beets, peeled, quartered, leafy tops reserved (1 lb.)
6 small red beets, peeled, quartered, leafy tops reserved and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and mustard, and cook 7 to 8 minutes, or until crumbs are deep golden, mixing, pressing, and separating with flexible spatula or back of fork. Transfer to plate. Wipe out skillet, and set aside.
- Toss golden beets with ½ Tbs. oil in bowl, and spread on half of prepared baking sheet. Repeat with ½ Tbs. oil and red beets. Roast beets 35 minutes, or until tender, turning after 25 minutes if flat sides become too dark.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining ½ Tbs. oil in reserved skillet over medium heat. Add beet greens, and sauté 2 minutes, or until wilted. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Arrange roasted beets on platter, slightly mounded in center. Sprinkle with sautéed greens and breadcrumb crumbles.
Protein: 5 g
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 26 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 353 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 12 g