This is a most unusual cake in which part of the batter rises to the top to form the cake layer, and a thick, creamy pudding develops on the bottom to serve as a sauce. Serve it warm, and for an outrageously good combination try it with vanilla ice cream.
1Вј cups unbleached white flour
1Вѕ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
ВЅ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
Вј teaspoon salt
в…” cup milk
ВЅ teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350В°F. Set out an 8 x 8-inch baking pan. (If the pan is glass then set the oven at 325В°F.)
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, Вѕ cup of the brown sugar, Вј cup of the cocoa, the baking powder, and salt. Add the milk, almond extract, and melted butter, and mix again until blended. Do not overbeat. Spoon into the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Combine the remaining Вј cup of cocoa and 1 cup of brown sugar until well blended. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter.
- Pour on the hot water but do not stir.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Serve warm with some of the sauce from the bottom of the pan spooned on each serving.