The lemon-soy glaze that coats these vegetables adds zip without overpowering their mild flavors.
2 small to medium zucchini
2 large red bell peppers
Вј pound fresh snow peas
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon tamari or other soy sauce
Juice of ВЅ lemon
- Wash the zucchini and pat dry. Cut the ends off and slice in half lengthwise. Cut each half lengthwise again and slice into ВЅ-inch-thick slices.
- Wash and dry the red peppers. Core them and remove all the seeds. Cut into strips 1 inch wide, then cut the strips into 1-inch squares. The point is to have the vegetables approximately the same shape.
- String each snow pea by grasping its stem and pulling down until the string is released. Cut the snow peas into thirds, or about 1 inch wide.
- Heat ВЅ tablespoon of the butter and all the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the zucchini and saut for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the red peppers and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the snow peas and toss. Mix the soy sauce with the lemon juice and add to the vegetables. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or just until the snow peas are heated through and the liquid is absorbed. (Do not overcook the vegetables; they should be crunchy.)
- Remove the pan from the heat. Cut the remaining ВЅ tablespoon of butter into bits and add. Stir until blended and serve immediately.
NOTE: This dish should be cooked just before serving, but the vegetables can be cut up the day before.