These flavors were meant for each other, but if you don’t have smoked cheese on hand, crumbled goat cheese is a wonderful substitute.
2 medium all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into ВЅ-inch dice
3 medium onions, cut into Вѕ-inch dice
1 tablespoon olive oil
Вј teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon butter
8 large eggs
ВЅ cup grated smoked Gouda or smoked mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400В°F.
- In a large bowl toss the potatoes and onions with the olive oil and spread onto a large baking sheet in one layer. Cook 25 to 30 minutes, or until brown and tender. Toss after the first 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle on the salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Meanwhile reduce the oven heat to 325В°F (or 300В°F if you are using a glass pie plate), and butter a pie plate or pan.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs. Stir in the cooled potato mixture and cheese. Pour into the prepared pie plate.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the frittata comes out almost clean.