This meatless version of the traditional Portuguese soup Caldo Verde is both distinctive and substantial. Kale gives the soup a wonderful flavor and texture, and along with the kidney beans provides a good source of iron.
SERVES 6 AS A MAIN COURSE
ВЅ cup olive oil
3 large onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
10 cups Vegetable Stock
16-ounce can diced tomatoes with their juice
16-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1ВЅ teaspoons paprika
в…› teaspoon cayenne pepper
1ВЅ teaspoons salt
Liberal seasoning freshly ground pepper
1 pound fresh kale (total weight with stems),* cleaned and stemmed
3 medium potatoes, unpeeled and diced
2 tablespoons butter
*Extra kale can be served another time in Sauted Greens with Garlic.
- In a large stockpot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and bay leaves, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, kidney beans, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- If there are any coarse ribs on the kale leaves, then rip the leaves off and discard the ribs. Roughly chop the kale. You should have 8 to 10 cups.
- Add the kale and potatoes to the soup and cook 30 minutes, or until the beans and potatoes are tender. If the soup is too thick add additional stock.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard. To give the soup a wonderful creamy consistency remove about 2 cups of it and pure it in the blender. Return it to the pot.
- Before serving add the butter and stir to melt.