Golden Simmering Liquid for Seitan
Cook the seitan in this lighter seasoning liquid if you want a more neutral color and flavor or plan to use seitan with spring or summer vegetables. It’s best with non-Asian dishes and seasonings. The color will be, well, golden.
If you use oil to further cook or season golden-simmered seitan, use a neutral oil like grapeseed or corn or extra virgin olive oil.
6 cups vegetable stock or water
1 cup white wine, apple juice, or cider
1 tablespoon salt (if using water)
Combine the ingredients in a large pot with a lid and follow the simmering directions in the main recipe.
7 Other Seasonings for Seitan-Simmering Liquid
Use alone or in combination, with either the dark or golden base liquid.
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- About 1 tablespoon peppercorns, black or Sichuan
- 6 or 8 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- Fresh herb sprigs like rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, parsley, cilantro, or mint
- Up to 1 tablespoon tea leaves
- Warm spices like cinnamon (1 stick), cloves (2 or 3), star anise (1 or 2), or cardamom (4 or 6 pods)
- A pinch of asafetida