Endive and Roquefort Salad
MAKES: 4 servings
TIME: 15 minutes
I like a salad you can eat with your fingers, and this is a beaut because the endive serves as both an ingredient and a spoon (you can even eat it standing up). Each of the major ingredients can be swapped for something else, too, and the flavors of the salad can be varied in many ways (see вЂњ6 Ideas for Endive Salad,вЂќ below).
16 to 24 Belgian endive leaves (about 2 endives)
4 ounces enoki mushrooms, left whole, or other mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 cup crumbled Roquefort or other blue cheese
1/3 cup Vinaigrette, more or less
01 Arrange the endive leaves on a plate and lay a few mushroom pieces on each one. Sprinkle with the Roquefort.
02 Use a spoon to drizzle with vinaigrette and serve.
6 Ideas for Endive Salad
- For the enokis, substitute matchstick-shaped pieces of regular button mushrooms.
- For the endive, substitute the small inner leaves of romaine or leaves of radicchio.
- For the Roquefort, use any blue cheese you like: Stilton, Maytag, Gorgonzola, or any of the creamy French blues. Or substitute freshly grated Parmesan or other hard cheese.
- For the dressing, use Honey-Garlic Vinaigrette.
- Sprinkle the top of the endives with toasted walnuts or hazelnuts and use any Vinaigrette.
- Add a small pile of fresh grated radish to the top of each leaf.